This edition of the Savannah newsletter is sponsored by Gumption Savannah Membership
Good Morning, Savannah. I know it’s boring to talk about the weather but I have to say it. This week is wet.
In Today’s Gumption Savannah:
- Stuckey’s is back
- Waters Ave. Revitalization Project
- The weekend’s events
Let’s get to it.
– Jay H Paszamant
P.S. You might have noticed my newsletter has been a little sporadic lately. I have been busy upgrading and troubleshooting our software workflows in order to better manage curating content for y’all. I am also in the search for an editor/writer to help with engaging in our community and providing fun and informative stories.
Once I get all my ducks in a row, I will introduce new interactive giveaways, sweepstakes, polls, loyalty programs, along with a swag store.
In the meantime, I will be producing 3 newsletters each week. And when we are able, return to a daily weekday newsletter.
Stuckey’s is back in a big way thanks to the humble pecan
Stephanie Stuckey, the third generation to lead Stuckey’s, is focusing on winning new customers and revitalizing the 85-year-old Southern road trip chain centered on one key component: the pecan.
At its peak in the 1960s, the company had over 350 locations in 40 states and thousands of highway billboards reminding travelers where they could “Relax, Refresh, & Refuel.”
Each store had a sense of place: A Florida Stuckey’s might have had kitschy alligator heads and wind chimes made out of shells, while a Virginia location might have sold souvenirs focused on U.S. history.
What was once six figures of debt is now worth over $2 million
- “It’s because [Stuckey’s is] a great brand,” she says. “We have a unique product, and we’re focusing on what’s working.”
- This means sourcing pecans from Georgia growers to make sweet and savory snacks that appeal to people looking for less-processed foods while on the road and selling different components of the pecan like raw nuts, nut pieces, and pecan meal.
- Down the line, she hopes to eventually own a handful of Stuckey’s interstate stores.
Source: Eater Atlanta
- Smith’s Axe Throwing is a good choice for those wishing to spend time with family and friends. It’s also cost-effective, and comes to you instead of you going to it. Read more
- Have you signed up your young entrepreneur for these free summer youth business classes?! Well, you still have time! Click here to register.
- The City of Savannah is close to finishing a project aimed at beautifying the city’s eastside corridor. The final phase of the project will cost $1.2 million dollars and will start south from 37th Street to Victory Drive. Read more
- Telfair Museums’ Juneteenth Free Family Day returns with a libation ceremony, drumming, and an appearance by the African Spirit. Saturday June 18th from 1 – 4 pm
- A group of middle and high school students from Alabama, Ohio and Michigan are serving in Savannah, Georgia, packing boxes for America’s Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia’s Summer Feeding program. They are also serving at the Salvation Army, Salvation Army’s Summer Day Camp, and Faith Equestrian.
- Deep Center is hosting a block party to celebrate the release of their 2021-2022 anthology and to encourage the community to get involved. The Deep Center will host its first public block party since the start of the pandemic to honor the youth’s perspectives and experiential knowledge. The event is free and registration is required.
Red Velvet Entertainment is the #1 Savannah burlesque show in the GA area. With burlesque shows every week, the ultimate cabaret show!Red Velvet Entertainment is the number one Savannah burlesque… Read more.
Telfair Museums is excited to offer local residents free weekend admission to the Jepson Center and Telfair Academy starting April 2 – August 28! Read more.
SELF-ish Retreat Hosted By The Im Loving Me Project. Event starts on Friday, 10 June 2022 and happening at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Historic District, Savannah, GA. Register or… Read more.
Summer 2022 Experience The 80’s MTV Experience at Victory North Savannah GA.ELECTRIC AVENUEWe don’t get to repeat even one minute of our time here, but what if you could relive… Read more.
Join us for a live butterfly release, food and drinks, live music, dancing, a silent auction, and much more all for a great cause!The Hallie Grace Memorial Butterfly Ball for… Read more.
The 5th Annual 5K Run/Walk Old Savannah City Mission is on Saturday March 25, 2023. Read more.
Chatham Academy goes Bananas with the Savannah Bananas! Hosted By Chatham Academy. Event starts on Saturday, 11 June 2022 and happening at Grayson Stadium, Savannah, GA. Register or Buy Tickets,… Read more.
Pooler Juneteenth Celebration Run – Presented by Pooler GAA Hosted By Pooler Juneteenth Celebration Committee. The event starts on Saturday at Pooler Recreational Complex, Pooler, GA.… Read more.
If you love U2 you will love U2.0-The Ultimate U2 Tribute Band! They will be kicking off the Summer on the Soundgarden Stage!! Read more.
This will be one for the books!Elan Savannah presentsVCTRE & TieDye KySupport:TBATickets: www.elansavannah.comThis event is 18 and up. Must show photo ID at the door. Sections on either side of… Read more.
This is a space for the empathic, psychological, spiritual, artistic, mystic, to connect learn and share different ways to experience soul. Read more.
A.U.R.A. Fest (All Underground Rock All Day) 2022 at Ships of the Sea Maritime MuseumA.U.R.A. Fest 2022 Featuring:Impending Doom , Lorna Shore, Rivers of Nihil, Bodysnatcher, Evergreen Terrace, Distant, Kharma,… Read more.
Agudath Achim with Savannah Rep Theater Gala Hosted By Congregation Agudath Achim, Savannah Georgia. Event starts on Sunday, 12 June 2022 and happening at 9 Lee Blvd, Savannah, GA 31405-5707,… Read more.
An instant classic upon its release, Moana is the beautifully resonant story of a curious, kind, and strong princess, who isn’t in search of a prince, but rather her own path. Read more.