This edition is sponsored by Gumption Savannah Membership
Good Morning, Savannah.Happy Eat Flexitarian Day! I know…what is flexitarian, and why celebrate it? Glance below on what and why.
In Today’s Gumption Savannah:
- Great Balls of Fire charity golf tournament
- SCAD summer teens programs
- Home Repair Assistance Program
Let’s get to it.
– Jay H Paszamant
Eat Flexitarian Day?
Eat Flexitarian Day encourages people to eat mostly plant-based foods while still enjoying meat and other animal products in moderation. This allows them to satisfy their savory cravings while still feeling like their best, balanced selves
The flexitarian diet is a well-balanced diet that helps you feel better, is affordable, and is easier to follow than vegetarian diets. It also helps the environment by reducing the amount of water, soil, and natural resources the meat industry uses to produce meat protein.
It’s more flexible than fully vegetarian or vegan diets.
If you’re looking to add more plant foods to your diet but don’t want to completely cut out meat, going flexitarian may be for you.
The diet is based on the following principles:
- Eat mostly fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains.
- Focus on protein from plants instead of animals.
- Be flexible and incorporate meat and animal products from time to time.
- Eat the least processed, most natural forms of foods.
- Limit added sugar and sweets.
I think I might try this diet, as I previously considered a vegetarian diet to help lower my cholesterol and blood pressure. But giving up my homemade smoked brisket? I don’t think so…
For more info, check out this link.
Here’s a reminder of the city’s home Repair Assistance Program remains open to qualified Savannah homeowners. Homeowners who meet the criteria are eligible to apply for home repair grants or loans. Funds are used to buy the materials needed by volunteers. Some of the funds can be used to pay contractors who homeowners choose to do the work. Follow this link for more details.
The Savannah Professional Firefighters Association is gearing up to host its 10th annual Great Balls of Fire charity golf tournament
- The tournament will be held Monday, June 13 at Bacon Park Golf Course, located at 1 Shorty Cooper Drive.
- Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. and tee-off begins at 9:30 am.- Over 150 golfers and volunteers are expected to attend.
Chatham Area Transit (CAT) is preparing for potential detours on Waters Route 27 and Route 28, following the start of construction on the Waters Phase III Streetscape Project on June 15, 2022, and up to 6 to 7 months of 2022.
- Mary’s Place of the Coastal Empire (formerly the Rape Crisis Center) will hold its annual awards gala on Thursday, June 16, 2022, at historic Savannah Station. The event will feature cocktails, dinner, live music, a silent auction, and more. Read more.
- A Star Wars fan built a nearly life-sized X-wing replica in his garage to teach his kids about science and technology. He’s now using this cosmic cosplay craft to try and raise money for Ukraine.
Summer teen programs @ SCAD Museum of Art, Savannah
Summer teen nights include boxed dinner, and art supplies @ SCAD MOA
SCAD Museum of Art invites teens to special teen workshops this summer from 4-6 PM Thursdays in June and late July 2022.
Admission to the workshop is $10 each. All skill levels are welcome. Materials are supplied. Boxed dinner provided.
To sign up, email Kristin Poitras, manager of museum visitation and programming, at email@example.com.
Walled on three sides with concrete meant to lock in the scents from the garden, and a wrought iron gate facing north, the Fragrant garden project began in 1959.
Originally called the “Fragrant Garden for the Blind in Savannah”, the project was completed in 1963.
Inside the Fragrant Garden, have been placed plants and flowers selected specifically for their fragrance.
Designed to be enjoyed by scent alone, the markers for each specimen are presented in English and in braille.