This edition is sponsored by Gumption Savannah Membership
Buy local in Savannah!
The buy-local movement is an approach to educating consumers about the difference locally and independently owned businesses make in their communities. It’s about uniting small businesses to take on national chains and big-box competitors together by creating a mindset among consumers that local matters. It has never been more accessible or valuable for small business owners.
Each Small Business Has a Story to Tell
- The buy-local movement is all about telling the story of small businesses
- Independent retailers return more than three times as much money per dollar of sales than their chain and big-box counterparts
- Meanwhile, independent restaurants return over twice as much as their chain competitors
Consumers Get It
- 93 percent of Americans believe it’s important to support the small businesses they value in their community
- Nearly three-quarters consciously shop at small businesses in their communities because they don’t want them to go away
- 89 percent are aware of the important economic role small businesses play in their local communities through taxes and jobs
Small Businesses See Results
- Two-thirds of respondents in cities with an active buy local campaign viewed the initiative as having a positive impact on their businesses.
- Independent retailers in communities with a buy local initiative reported revenue growth of 7.4 percent on average in 2015, compared with just 4.2 percent growth for businesses elsewhere.