This edition is sponsored by Gumption Savannah Membership
Good Morning, Savannah. The Fourth of July weekend is quickly approaching. I will keep you updated on happenings around Savannah in the next few days. In the meantime, check out what’s going on this week.
In Today’s Gumption Savannah:
- Cemetery Tours on your mobile phone.
- Homegrown Summer Jam
- ‘Living the dream’ with the Savannah Bananas
- Savannah Stars and Stripes at Plant Riverside
Let’s get to it.
– Jay H Paszamant
Boo Business 👻📱
Enjoy accessible tours of Savannah’s famous cemeteries using just your phone
Bonaventure Cemetery is the one that comes to mind for many when talking about our city’s historic cemeteries. Not everyone has the time to research the stories behind the people buried there. Fortunately, there are some affordable and even free ways to learn about the city’s history.
The Bonaventure Historical Society offers free walking tours one weekend a month
- July’s dates are the 9th and 10th
- These tours are led by a member of the historic society and are completely free.
- An app is also available for those who don’t have the time to take the tour. It’s $4.99 in the Google Play and Apple App stores.
Learn the history of Laurel Grove North and South cemeteries via your phone
- In May, Georgia Southern University announced that a graduate student named Mark O’Dell had put together free self-guided tours of both of Savannah’s historic graveyards
- Benevolent Burials includes highlighted maps, guided narration, videos, photos, and written narration
- A fascinating look into Savannah’s untold and underrepresented histories
- German logistics company DHL has leased 516,800 square feet of industrial space within Savannah Gateway Industrial Hub (SGIH) for its new “import facility.” (REBusinessOnline) Read more. 🚚
- Becca Sipper creates beautiful paintings and ceramic art. She strives to create beauty and harmony in both her work and personal life and hopes those two elements translate to her art. Having her art on display and for sale at local galleries around Savannah brings her joy, as she feels a “family aspect” being surrounded by other local artists and customers. (WSAV) 🎨
- Singer-songwriter Eric Britt brings back Homegrown Summer Jam and another Hazel Virtue reunion. Savannah has a tight-knit community of folk and Americana artists, so it is always a cause for celebration when they all get on one stage together. Last year’s all-star event was so successful that organizers are bringing back many of the performers from previous years. Check out the lineup for Homegrown Summer Jam – Part 2 at Victory North Savannah, 2603 Whitaker Street. (SavannahNow) 🎵
- Gage Voorhees living ‘dream’ with Savannah Bananas. Voorhees, a rising senior pitcher at Flagler College in St. Augustine, Fla., is playing in front of 4,000 fans every night at Historic Grayson Stadium, where Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Jackie Robinson, Lou Gehrig and Hank Aaron took the field.
Voorhees hopes to continue to pitch well for the Bananas and enjoy the spectacle at home games, where the team brings out UFC welterweight champion Jorge Masvidal as part of the ceremonial pregame manager weigh-in. (Journal-News) Read more. ⚾⚾
Books to children
- In partnership with the Summer Food Programs provided by the public school systems in Bryan, Effingham, and Liberty counties, United Way of the Coastal Empire is distributing books to children throughout the summer as part of the Read United initiative. Read more. (SavannahBusinessJournal) 📖
Join us for Business on the Move at Junior Achievement Colonial Group Discovery Center. Businesses located in the Savannah area, such as Chick-fil-A, Read more.
Standup Comedy w/ no cover, the best thing going on in Savannah on a Wednesday. Read more.
Savannah Drag Queen Guided Pub Crawl The #1 Pub Crawl in Savannah, Key West and Atlanta Read more.
Homegrown Summer Jam, don’t miss the chance to #ExperienceVictory with the best of Savannah’s Americana scene at Victory North SavannahSupport all your favorite Savannah Americana performers at Victory North Savannah… Read more.
Part of the popular Moon Deck LIVE at Electric Moon concert series, enjoy a performance by Super Deluxe!Plant Riverside District’s free weekly outdoor live music series “Moon Deck LIVE at… Read more.
Celebrate the Fourth of July with free family-friendly fun at Plant Riverside District!Plant Riverside District will host the 2022 Savannah Stars and Stripes July 4th Weekend Friday, July 1 through… Read more.
Power pop from NashvilleThe Dreaded Laramie (Power Pop from Nashville, TN) & Off Work (Rock from Savannah, GA) play Rock Music at The Wormhole!https://www.facebook.com/thedreadedlaramiebandTickets at wormholebar.com Read more.
Is an American musical with music & book by James Valcq and lyrics & book by Fred Alley, based on the 1996 film by Lee David Zlotoff. Read more.
SYNTH DISCO RADIOHEAD POPULISTS PLAY WILL’S SEXY SHOW Read more.
The use of recycled glass has significant economic and environmental benefits. Using recycled glass decreases energy use during the manufacturing process and conserves resources. Additionally, the insulation continues to provide energy savings in the built environment for the life of the product. Now that is circularity!